....a little bit of what's going on in my life today...

...a little bit of what's going on in my life today....







Monday, September 29, 2008

My poor kid!

My Hunter has had ear infections since he was only a few months old. We have fought them and fought them for years. We started seeing an ENT when he was about 18months old, the pediatrician had already seen him so many times, she sent us on! We kept trying different things, then finally when he was 2 1/2 we put tubes in. Viola!! No infections the entire time they were in, probably right at a year. We went from roughly every 3-4 weeks to a full year with nothing! Yippee!! Since they fell out, we've still battled the infections every few months, nothing as bad as they were when he was about 2. He woke up with ear pain during the night about 3 weeks ago, so off we go to the doc first thing on a Sunday morning. We've learned that when he complains about it, that you don't waste anytime, you head straight to the doctor. He had a severe infection that looked like it might possibly rupture his eardrum, so we got 10days of a big gun antibiotic, (the little ones don't work anymore!) and off we went. Well, no rupture through the course of the meds. BUT, about 4 days after coming off of them, once again he woke up in the night with the same ear hurting. So....again, off we go to the doc! Now the ear has ruptured. After a RX for a $100 dollar ear drop, we had an appointment with the ENT today. He is recommending that we put in the tubes again, and remove the adnoids as well this time. Seems that the SAME EAR is full of fluid yet again. You wouldn't believe how much drained out last week when it ruptured, he was soaking cotton balls. How in the world is it full again???? We don't have a date set yet, will probably be within the month. If it gets infected again, since the fluid is already there, it could be another bad infection. He also had a hearing test, and is hearing isn't very good right now, probably due to all the fluid, doc said that it's like listening with your hands over your ears. I feel so bad for him, he doesn't want tubes, it's scary for an almost 6 year old. The worst part about when he was 2 and got them, was that morning, when he woke up and couldn't understand why he couldn't have his cup, that was the first thing he got every morning then. So, please keep him in your prayers, for him to have God's spirit and be courageous and brave! And also for protection over him during a surgery. We are in the process of hubs changing jobs and getting insurance finally, so please also pray that the insurance part works out as well, otherwise we will be paying for this out of our pocket, which really is the least of my concerns right now. I'm pretty worried about his hearing, I can really tell that he's not where he should be. It's not the same as "selective" hearing at all! He truly can't hear often, and is constantly saying "Excuse me?" in his sweet little voice.

Well, on a brighter note, I'm getting a haircut on Wednesday, time to get it hacked off! Was scheduled for this past Friday, and was all ready to blog about it, but my hair lady called and cancelled. Her kids were sick at home, and she had to cancel on me. Can you believe that???? ha,ha What nerve! When I'm ready, I'm ready, it's killing me to wait 5 more days.

1 comment:

kristen lewis said...

Mary, I am so sorry about Hunter. You have battled this for a long time. I am praying that you will find a permanent solution. And, I can't wait to see the haircut!