....a little bit of what's going on in my life today...

...a little bit of what's going on in my life today....







Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In court....

I had the most interesting day today. John was summoned to court to testify for a friend of his that was fighting for visitation with her grandson. I went along for moral support, and have to say that I was quite entertained. I completely understand why people go spend their days sitting in a courtroom just listening. It was all very interesting. John had to wait out in the hall since he was a witness, but I went in and sat. He had to be there at 9 this morning, was part of the defense, and the plaintiff went first. I sat through the testimony of the child's counselor, mother, maternal grandmother, and then the paternal grandmother, whom we were there for. Then we had a lunch recess. All of this was while John and the other witnesses were out in the hall. The whole case is a yucky mess, the mom has 4 kids, 4 different dads, is 25, unemployed, not in school, the whole family lives with the maternal grandmother. John's friend has monthly weekend visitation, to which the mother is trying to have taken away. So, John's position was basically to testify that the child is not harmed in any way while he is with his grandmother. As soon as we got back from lunch, they called John, he answered about 4 questions then we were released. I don't know the outcome, I'm praying that she doesn't lose the visitation, that child needs some positive influences in his life, especially a stable one. Whew, that mother looked so bad up there when she was testifying, talking about all the kids, different dads, doesn't know where any of them are, had kids with two other guys while married to yet another one, and I just hurt for those kids. Makes you realize that sometimes maybe your life isn't as bad as you think. You'd almost think that it was an actual custody hearing with the way things were going. I almost think he'd be better off if it was, but I'm not the one in charge or even involved. That judge got after mom, she couldn't even remember the last name of her last live-in boyfriend, or where she had met him, and he just had lived with her this past fall. Sounds like the ideal environment for a 8 year old boy, eh? Anyway, I was just there for moral support for grandmother and John, but I'm thinking that if I'm ever extremely bored, I can just jot down to the courthouse and see what's going on.....

3 comments:

Lori E. said...

I wish I could adopt that boy!!! You would love Jury duty!!! It is interesting. I sat on jury for a man accused of shooting at a police officer, probably someone your brother knows. It was interesting, but a little scary when the guy is a gang banger and is making eye contact with you.......creepy!!

Unknown said...

Why aren't there any regulations on procreation? The judge should sentence her to sterilization.

Angie said...

Holy cow. Those kinds of stories just kill me. Makes me want to adopt him too, Lori. I hope all turns out okay for him and his sibs as well.